Friday, March 11, 2011

Keeping it under wraps....

One thing I hadn't given a huge amount of thought to was how I was going to dress when pregnant (and huge).  I have a fairly extensive wardrobe - it extends to all three bedrooms in my house!- so looking somewhat stylish while expanding was important to me.  Looking back, I think I expected to still wear my normal clothes until one day a little bump would pop out and I'd switch to maternity clothes.  If only it were that simple.


Miranda Kerr and Giselle Bundchen may have stayed looking and feeling super for 9 months but for most of us, pregnancy is not a time that we feel we look our best, particularly at the beginning and the end.   It seemed like the minute I found out I was pregnant, my flat belly disappeared under a layer of wobble.  I didn't particularly care from a vanity point of view but practically it was a pain.  It meant that I couldn't fit in to any of my jeans without doing myself an injury.  I was on holidays from weeks 6 to 8 of my pregnancy and had to buy shorts in the next size up.  And walking around with what feels like several spare tyres makes you sure that absolutely everyone must "know".


So what to do if the waistline starts to expand from the minute you see those 2 pink lines?   One solution is to wear a belly belt.

 

You can buy a belly belt "kit", which is a pack of two belly belts (one for button up garments and one for those with zips)  plus fabric panels in white, black and denim to bridge the ever-growing gap.  The pack retails at around €17.   Good value for money when you consider that you shouldn't have to buy any new jeans or skirts until you are into full-on maternity wear, at around 4 months into your pregnancy. They have the added advantage that, because you are wearing your "normal" clothes, it is easier to keep your pregnancy a secret in the first trimester. Hook up your favourite jeans, pair with an on-trend and budget friendly blouse from Penney's and you're good to go!

You can buy a Belly Belt kit, plus other maternity essentials from OnceBorn.com, an Irish based online store. Happy shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment